Clayton Valley Charter High School

Gold Ribbon School Logo Model School Logo
Skip to main content
AB 104 » AB 104 Update

AB 104 Update

Governor Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 into law, and we’d like to provide you with important information on how this legislation may relate to your student. The bill contained three major provisions: retention, grading, and graduation policies. 

Below you will find information about each provision: 


AB 104 permits parents of students who were in high school in 2020-21 (or the student, if they have turned 18) to request letter grades for last year be changed to Pass/No Pass on transcripts. The new law requires CSU, and encourages UC and private postsecondary institutions, to accept those grade designations without prejudice.  

There is no limit to the number of courses to which a grade change request may be made but under no circumstances, shall such changes negatively affect a student’s GPA. This means that any letter grade of A, B, C, or D may be changed to “Pass” and a letter grade of F may be changed to “No Pass.” There will be no grade point value assigned to “Pass” or “No Pass.”

The list of colleges and universities in California accepting “Pass” or “No Pass” instead of grades for admission is LINKED HERE. This list was created by the California Department of Education. It is important to know that not all colleges and universities, including those in other states, will accept “Pass” or “No Pass” instead of a letter grade for admission.

The law states the deadline for students to submit a grade change request is fifteen (15) calendar days from the date of the our District's website posting and written notice to parents/guardians. Your window to submit the grade change is today, August 11th, through August 25th. AB 104 explicitly prohibits us from accepting grade change applications after the deadline. Any requests made after August 25, 2021 will not be accepted.

Requested grade changes must be implemented by our district with written confirmation sent to the student and their parent/guardian(s) within fifteen (15) calendar days of receipt of the application.

How to Request a Grade Change:

If you would like to request grade changes from letter grades to Pass/No Pass on transcripts for grades during the 2020-2021 school year, please follow these steps:

  1. Print, fill out, sign, and date the Grade Change Application Form.
  2. Email or drop off the filled-out Grade Change Application form to our registrar, Helen Bendoyro, by emailing it to or dropping it off in our front office. 
  3. Deadline for submission is August 25, 2021.


AB 104 exempts 2020-21 juniors and seniors (class of 2021 and 2022) from high school graduation requirements beyond statewide requirements if they are not on track to graduate in four years and requires school districts to provide opportunities for our seniors to meet statewide graduation requirements through, among other avenues, a fifth year of high school. Our counselors are working on assessing each senior's transcript for AB 104 compliance and will reach out to students who qualify for this exemption by the end of August.

Please contact your school counselor with any additional questions you may have. 


In preparation for the 2021-22 school year, students will be eligible for a retention consultation if they received deficient grades for at least one-half of their coursework in 2020-21 and their parents are interested in holding them back a grade level. Deficient grades include grades of D, F, or No Pass. This temporary retention policy is in addition to any existing district retention policies. Students who were in 12th grade in 2020-21 are not eligible.    

Parents/guardians of eligible students must request the retention consultation in writing. Districts then have 30 calendar days to hold the consultation and 10 calendar days after that meeting to issue a final decision.

How to Request Retention Consultation:

If you would like to request a retention consultation for your “eligible pupil” (a pupil who has received deficient grades for at least one-half of the pupil’s coursework in the 2020-21 academic year), please follow these steps:

  1. Review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
  2. Print, fill out, sign, and date the AB 104 Retention Consultation Request form. The form can also be found in the FAQ's below. 
  3. Email or drop off the filled-out AB 104 Retention Consultation Request form to Principal Jeff Anderson ( or drop off in the main office.
  4. You will be contacted and a consultation meeting will be held within 30 calendar days after submitting your request.